Helena | Montana | BW

Getting to know Helena bit by bit…

Last Chance Gulch
Last Chance Gulch is the name of the actual gulch in which gold was discovered in 1864. The thoroughfare which was built down the Gulch was originally named Main Street. It remained that way for some 85 years, until July 20 1953, when acting Helena Mayor Dr. Amos R. Little, Jr. signed an ordinance officially changing the name of Main Street to Last Chance Gulch. Both names are still used locally for what was once the grand thoroughfare of Helena’s business district. (source)

Atlas Building
F. J. Shaffer and James Stranahan, the architect of the Bluestone House (SC #2), designed this remarkable symbol of Helena’s early struggles. An insurance company built the Richardsonian Romanesque–style building as an advertisement. The salamanders—mythical creatures like phoenixes that fire cannot destroy—cavort atop the building while stylized flames lick across the building’s top. Atlas bears the symbolic burden for the policy holders. (source)

Power Block
Built to last in 1889 by magnate Thomas C. Power, The Power Building still presides over the intersection of Sixth and Main in downtown Helena. Although it has long been known as the Power Block, the original keystone over the Sixth Ave. entrance has carved into it “Power Building”. Before it was built, a feed lot and stable occupied the site. (source)

Goodkind Building
The 1884 Goodkind Building still stands on the southeast corner of Sixth and Main. It was designed by St. Louis architect Francis Dickson Lee for Colonel Charles A. Broadwater and Shirley C. Ashby, Sr., and is the oldest standing commercial building north of Broadway. It cost $25,000 (in 1884 dollars) to build. It was occupied for several decades by the Wise & Goodkind / Goodkind Brothers wholesale wine, liquor and cigar business, hence its name today. (source)